What can hyenas teach us about social connections? Join us in a conversation with Dr. Zachary Laubach about how this can positively impact your life.
If you want to learn more about how observing hyenas can actually make your brain happy, then this episode is for you!
Here are two reasons why you should listen to the full episode:
- Learn how hyenas interact with one another.
- Understand the major takeaways from Dr. Laubach’s study.
- WHAT NATURE’S VILLAIN CAN TEACH US ABOUT BEING BETTER HUMANS: https://www.inverse.com/mind-body/what-people-can-learn-from-hyenas
How Do Hyenas Interact With One Another?
- To measure how hyenas interact with one another you observe their behavior.
- A friendly interaction is playful.
- A bad interaction would include chasing or screaming at one another.
- For this study, it was important to understand how hyenas interact with one another to measure social interactions and to see if hyenas were friends or not.
What Can We Learn From Hyenas?
- Dr. Laubach found that the more social connections these hyenas had, the healthier they were.
- He measured biomarkers and stress physiology of the hyenas throughout the study.
- Found that the hyenas with more friends had better stress profiles.
- Dr. Laubach also found that the most critical period for these social connections were the hyenas’ teenage years.
- Overall, the findings indicate that social connections are important to your overall health.
5 Powerful Quotes from This Episode
“Early social experiences may get under the skin via DNA methylation of pathways involved in basic biological processes.”
“Having more social connections matters for things related to your health”.
“As humans develop, social relationships among teens are extremely important”.
“There are ways to promote resiliency later in life”.
“Going and sitting quietly especially out in nature, there are some real mental health benefits to that”.
Enjoy this Podcast?
The smallest acts can be catalysts for tremendous evolutions. If you enjoyed today’s episode of the Happy Brain Podcast, then hit subscribe and share it with your friends!
- Listen to all TLBC episodes ad-free and get access to exclusive episodes when you join TLBC+!
- Do you need a step-by-step guide to build consistency in your life? Get a copy of The Consistency Code here!
Want to give us a review? If you enjoyed tuning into this episode, then don’t forget to write a review. You can also share this with your loved ones, so they, too, can overcome their fear and define success based on their terms.